|Dimensions||.75 × 7.5 × 10 in|
THE SPIRIT OF PRIDE
Pride got Lucifer kicked out of heaven. Pride protects the sin in a person’s life by preventing the person from confessing and admitting their sin or weakness. To hate what God hates is to hate pride. A Christian ministering out of his or her own strength as a result of pride will claim glory that only belongs to God.
Most times someone operating under pride would not come to the altar. There is no use in attempting to point out a spirit of pride in someone before they are ready; they will simply become offended. One must always be on guard that pride does not enter in. This requires a constant monitoring of one’s own life and a constant submission to God. James 4:8 says, Draw near to God and He will draw near to you…
Humility is the opposite of pride. Like pride, humility is known by its fruit. Humility brings God’s grace and blessing into our life. It knows God’s way is best. It is a way of life that conforms to the Word of God. Someone walking in humility will prefer others above themselves (but not in a co-dependent, pleasing-people way). A humble person will be an active listener, walking in compassion, generosity, and love. Humility takes the time to be intimate with God and listen to His counsel and wisdom. Jesus’ earthly life is the epitome of someone walking in humility. The key is that the authority He carried was a result of His humility and submission to the will of God the Father and the leading of the Holy Spirit.
- Resistant to God’s will
- A condescending/critical attitude toward others
- Unable to receive correction/instruction
- Inability to admit wrong or say “I’m sorry”
- Will make excuses/shift blame
- Makes comparisons with others
- Keeps secrets/lacks transparency
- Is an interrupter/controls conversation
- Harsh spirit
Some Trademarks of Humility
- Humility brings God’s grace/blessing to our lives.
- Humility knows God’s way is best/blessed and conforms to the Word of God.
- Humility prefers others above themselves.
- Humility cares what God thinks and takes the time to listen to His counsel/wisdom.
How to Get Set Free from Pride
You must be willing to admit to pride and choose to part with it. You must repent of all pride, specific acts of pride and/or general prideful attitude. Ask the Lord to reveal to you manifestations of pride in your behavior and have renounce these behavior patterns. Also, renounce the spirit of pride with all of its lies. Then break the yoke of pride in the name of Jesus. Command it to go. Ask the Holy Spirit to fill you with a spirit of humility or a humble and contrite spirit.
- Make certain you have dealt with any unforgiveness first.
- Repent of all pride.
- Renounce the spirit of pride along with all of its lies and symptoms.
- Break it off your generations.
- Command the spirit of pride/haughtiness to go in Jesus’ name.
- Loose a spirit of humility/humble & contrite spirit.
James 4:6 (AMPC)
But he gives us more and more grace. That is why He says, God sets Himself against the proud and haughty, but gives grace to the lowly (those humble enough to receive it). †
I Peter 5:6 (AMPC)
Therefore, humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you. †
Proverbs 13:10 (AMP)
By pride comes nothing but strife. †
Obadiah 1:3 (AMP)
The pride and arrogance of your heart has deceived you. †
Proverbs 29:23 (AMP)
A man’s pride and sense of self-importance will bring him down, but he who has a humble spirit will obtain honor. †
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Deborah Berteau, wife of Pastor Glen Berteau, have been in ministry 40 years. Together, they pastor The House in Modesto, CA., a church of 9,000. Her passion and in-depth study of prayer, fasting, intercession, and breaking generational curses have resulted in House of Prayer service with 1,000 attending weekly. Her legacy is seeded in her three children and five grandchildren, who are all in full time ministry.